Google has developed three new career certificate programs for the online education platform Coursera. Aimed at breaking barriers for underserved groups to enter the tech workforce, the company announced Monday. Google offered 100,000 Scholarships In Data Analytics, Project Management, And UX.
According to the press release
Google will consider all of its career certificates to be the equivalent of a four-year degree in related functions at Google.
“University degrees are unattainable for many Americans, and you shouldn’t need a college degree to ensure economic security, said Kent Walker. Senior vice president of global affairs at Google, in the press release. We need new, accessible vocational training solutions. From expanded work programs to online education – to help America recover and rebuild.”
One of the motivating factors behind these new programs, according to the press release. The supports of job seekers affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Google Career Certificates are created and taught by Google employees. And can be completed in three to six months, as per the press release.
Google Career Certificates
There are three new Google Career Certificates that you can earn:
1. Data Analytics
Google says that data analysts can earn $66,000 a year (median) and analyze data and make data-driven recommendations to inform essential business decisions.
2. Project Management
Google says that data analysts can earn $93,000 a year (median) and help plan and oversee projects efficiently.
3. User Experience (UX) Design
Google says a UX designer can earn $75,000 a year (median) and help create a simpler, more accessible, and more enjoyable experience for users.
How To Apply
The online certificates are developed solely by Google and take approximately three to six months to complete. There are no prior educational or previous work experience requirements. The courses are hosted through Coursera, which is an online platform. While Coursera charges a monthly fee, Google will provide 100,000 need-based scholarships to cover the costs. You sign up through Coursera to complete an online certificate.
Here are more details on Google’s announcements:
- Three new Google Career Certificates in the high-paying, high-growth career fields of Data Analytics, Project Management, and User Experience (UX) Design.
- 100,000 need-based scholarships, funded by Google, to complete any of these career certificates.
- An expansion of our IT Certificate Employer Consortium, which currently includes over 50 employers like Walmart, Hulu, Sprint, and of course Google.
- Hundreds of apprenticeship opportunities at Google for people completing these career certificate programs to provide real on-the-job training.
- he Google Career Certificates in Career and Technical Education high schools throughout America, starting with our IT Support Certificate this Fall. These certificates build on our established partnership with more than 100 community colleges.